Friday, January 02, 2009

Wyatt- Post Op



After Wyatt had surgery on Wednesday, he slept a majority of the day away. He would wake for a few minutes here and there, but the anaesthesia really knocked him out for the most part. At about 7pm he started to come around, only to fall back asleep for the night around 10:30pm.

Then yesterday he started the day out with a whole cup of yogurt, followed by some scrambled eggs for lunch. We were surprised he ate so much, but thrilled he seemed to be do better than expected. Slowly during the day he started to decline. It became obvious he was very uncomfortable and he just looked so sad.

Last night was hellish. Wyatt (he is sleeping in our room while he recovers) woke at least once an hour all night long. He now wants nothing to do with his medicine, telling us it is "yucky". When I tried to get him to eat some food to put in his belly before he got his medicine, he gagged it up and ended up spitting it out on me, which in turn made him cry.

About 3am, I decided to try some tylenol instead of the "yucky" heavy duty liquid Lortab. Wyatt took it after a bit of coaxing, but it did little to relieve his pain,as he has been waking at least every 20 ins since then crying for water.

I woke up about 7:30 to a quiet house, jumped in the shower and when I came out, Wyatt was sleeping on the floor outside of the master bathroom door. He has been sleeping since (it is 9:15 now) and I am so thankful he can get some uninterrupted sleep. I know this surgery was the best thing for him, but it has been so hard to watch him be in so much pain for such a long stretch of time.

Hopefully, today will go better and he will not fight the pain medication so much. This is not easy for any of us.

7 comments:

laraine said...

Oh - the poor little guy. I'm almost in tears thinking about how uncomfortable he must be.

I hope today is better and that he is back to himself soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear surgery went well. Kids seem to bounce back pretty quick, so here's to hoping he starts feeling better soon!!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. We hope he's better soon. Grace and Joey ask about him everyday, since I told them he was having an operation. Give him big hugs and kisses from us and then have Don give you a huge hug and kiss from us too. The hardest part is being the "strong" Mommy in all of this, but I know you're doing great and soon this will be a thing of the past.
Love you and can't wait to see you!!
-Jenn

Michele S said...

I sure hope he's feeling better today. I know how hard this is on all of you. Poor little guy.

hi my name is mommy said...

I hope he is feeling better now! And I am so thankful that his surgery was a success!

Mindy said...

I hope he is doing better -- it's hard on them when they don't like their medicine and they aren't sleeping and eating normal!

loren said...

I know it's been a few days... how's he doing? Hopefully lots better. I don't doubt that it's stressful for the whole family!