Thursday, March 19, 2009

Our Giant Garden



After gardening in our yard last week, we decided we weren't done yet. My parents have an area in their yard that is not being used so the four of us decided to garden there as well.

We rototilled until it felt like our arms would pop out of the sockets and made about 50 holes in the dirt for our new plants. Later Don and my dad dug trenches for the main sprinkler lines to be laid in. At one point the boys cried big tears because my dad sprinkled them with the hose, but all tears turned into big belly laughs as he let them get him back in retaliation.

I wish I would have taken a before picture, but the before doesn't really matter here :) We have planted tomatoes, potatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumbers, habaneros, yellow and green bell peppers, beans, garlic, onions, strawberries, corn, and jalapenos.

The boys had a blast playing in the dirt all weekend (it literally took all weekend from Friday to Monday) and needed a serious bath each night. My dad has taken it a step further and decided to put in a little pond in his backyard as well.



It has been lots of work, but it was nice to be able to spend the entire weekend with my family and a project in hand.

No comments: