Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cam-eerrrr-ah

I called Canon today to find out what the estimate of the camera damages will be. The lovely lady on the other end told me they haven't yet opened it, but have a flat rate of $180(!) to fix the camera, no matter what the problem is. This $180 also includes a 6 month warranty and they are charging an extra $15 to send it back. Or they will send it back without fixing it for free. Go figure.

After I got upset that no one had told me about the flat rate fixing fee (why was I waiting for an estimate?) and the sneakiness of making me spend money to send it there insured and packaging it up ($30!) when I didn't need to send it to get an estimate, I nicely let her off the phone and called Don. Then I figured out that they make you mail in the camera before you get the estimate otherwise they know smart consumers would've brought their camera to a camera shop here in town where they would only pay for what was wrong, not a "flat fee" fixing rate. In addition to $45 in combined shipping charges.

I am upset that they were being tricky. I feel that if I request my camera back, it will somehow end up more damaged more than what it was when I sent it out. (Can you tell I don't send my food back in a restaurant either?) So in order to get my camera back, we need to cough up almost $200, or forfeit the $30 that we already spent.

They may as well just emailed me this, I'd feel the same way...

3 comments:

laraine said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'd be pretty pissed off too. My camera is dear to me - I LOVE my camera. Not quite as much as the camera I want, but I still love it.

I have a lens that is not working. I definitely will not mail it anywhere now. It's going to one of the shops in town.

I hope you get your baby back soon!

BTW - I've been keeping up with your blog - the boys are just so cute. I loved the photo of them hanging out of the closet!.

Michele S said...

Oh, wow, I found some magazines around the house today with letters cut out. I had no idea Greg went into the camera fixing business. I'm sure I can get it back for $120. Cash. You still got garage sale money left?

Anonymous said...

OMG that was the funniest blog ever! Thanks for the laugh. Or maybe it's just that it's 12:16 am and I'm dileriously tired. ;)

Thanks for always commenting on my blog! I love seeing your name pop up :)