Friday, November 24, 2006

All banged up

My sweet babies are banged up.

Today they got their 18 month check ups done and shots galore. Afterwards we stopped at Sears to grab my dad's Christmas gift. Since the kids were stuck in their wagon all through their Dr appointment and while we were at Sears, I started going fast with the wagon to get them to giggle a bit. They were laughing and smiling, so I gave it one last run. I must've whipped them around too fast and the wagon FLIPPED OVER! The orange car came unhooked from the rest and little Luke was stuck upside down in it. His top lip is all sorts of swollen and he has a little scrape by his nose. Wyatt was in the middle car and his head has 2 big "road rashes" on his forehead. Both of them were bleeding for a bit and really shaken up for a good 10 minutes or so. Jaxon was in the front car, so he was sideways, but he has no outer bruises or anything.
I feel so incredibly awful and guilty, just wanted to cry when it happened, but I didn't want to traumatize them anymore than they already were. When we got home, they ate lunch and played a bit, I gave them tylonel and bandaged them up. All of them are napping now and when they get up, I am hoping the swelling has gone down. Poor babies. I feel absolutely ashamed that my children hurt because of my carelessness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura- POOR BABIES! They'll be okay. When we first got our Choo Choo, it didn't come with seatbelts, and Amanda stood up and fell face first into the asphalt and I was going pretty fast. She had horrible road rash all over her face. I'm happy to say she doesn't appear to have any permanant phsycological damage.

"Mommy...Mommy...don't put me in the evil wagon."

Okay, I KIDDING! You are not a bad Mommy. I'm sure you were just trying to give them a thrill ride like their father would. Isn't it ironic that our husbands can practically swing the Choo Choos around on two wheels but we can't?

Hope their feeling okay today.

Cathy said...

Laura, you are not a bad mom! I have seen Don whip them around hard, and they LOVE it! You just had a freak accident! I did the same exact thing with my car long ago lol, which is why I am a bit of a whimp when it comes to playing around in the wagon. We have lots of boys, we are going to be dealing with TONS of boo boos in the future. You might have just ran over something that just caught your wheel. ACCIDENTS happen! Hugs to all 4 of you.

laraine said...

Laura, I hope everyone is feeling better today. You are not the first mommy to do something like that and you certainly won't be the last!. Accidents happen!. As I was reading this I was thinking about what happened to us at the playground just this morning. I was pushing Charlie on one of those things that you hang on and it slides across this bar it is attached to. Well I was trying to make him go fast so he would have fun, he let go, which stopped his momentum, I stumbled, fell with him in my arms and almost landed on him (and I ain't no lightweight). I caught most of my weight with my right arm (and it hurts!) so he was not really hurt. It scared the heck out of the poor thing though, and I cringe at what could have happened if I fell on him with all my weight. Yeah - I definitely feel bad but I know it was an accident. I certainly wouldn't do something like that on purpose. Ok - time to go put some ice on my swollen wrist.

Jody said...

I'm sorry, that's a scary, heart-sinking accident to have happen. I hope the boys are better now.

I've had our SUW RadioFlyer wagon tip with the kids in it when they were toddlers, too. It's one of the hazards of the multiples-mom job, I think.